- produced in or as if in a test tube; synthetic or experimental.
- a hollow cylinder of thin glass with one end closed, used in chemical and biological experimentation and analysis.
- a cylindrical round-bottomed glass tube open at one end: used in scientific experiments
- (modifier) made synthetically in, or as if in, a test tubea test-tube product
n.1809, from test (n.) + tube (n.). So called because it originally was used to test the properties of liquids. Test-tube baby is recorded from 1935. adj.
- Produced or cultivated in a test tube.
- Conceived by or developed from fertilization in laboratory apparatus or by artificial insemination.
- A clear, cylindrical glass tube usually open at one end and rounded at the other, used in laboratory experimentation.
- A cylindrical tube of clear glass, usually open at one end and rounded at the other, used as a container for small amounts of a substance in laboratory tests and experiments.