- a written declaration certifying to a person’s character, conduct, or qualifications, or to the value, excellence, etc., of a thing; a letter or written statement of recommendation.
- something given or done as an expression of esteem, admiration, or gratitude.
- pertaining to or serving as a testimonial: a testimonial dinner for the retiring dean.
- a recommendation of the character, ability, etc, of a person or of the quality of a consumer product or service, esp by a person whose opinion is valued
- (as modifier)testimonial advertising
- a formal statement of truth or fact
- a tribute given for services or achievements
- a sports match to raise money for a particular player
- of or relating to a testimony or testimonial
adj.early 15c., “of or pertaining to testimony,” in letters testimonial from Middle French lettres testimoniaulx, from Latin litteræ testimoniales, from testimonium (see testimony). The noun meaning “writing testifying to one’s qualification or character” is recorded from 1570s; that of “gift presented as an expression of appreciation” is from 1838.