- of, relating to, or consisting in theory; not practical (distinguished from applied).
- existing only in theory; hypothetical.
- given to, forming, or dealing with theories; speculative.
- another word for theoretical
- another word for theoretics
- of or based on theory
- lacking practical application or actual existence; hypothetical
- using or dealing in theory; impractical
adj.1610s, from Late Latin theoreticus “of or pertaining to theory,” from Greek theoretikos “contemplative, pertaining to theory” (by Aristotle contrasted to praktikos), from theoretos “that may be seen or considered,” from theorein “to consider, look at” (see theory). Related: Theoretically. adj.
- Of, relating to, or based on theory.
- Restricted to theory; not practical.