- an act of throwing back.
- a setback or check.
- the reversion to an ancestral or earlier type or character; atavism.
- an example of this.
- a person, animal, or plant that has the characteristics of an earlier or more primitive type
- a reversion to such an organism
verb throw back (adverb)
- (intr) to revert to an earlier or more primitive type
- (tr foll by on) to force to depend (on)the crisis threw her back on her faith in God
n.“reversion to an ancestral type or character,” 1888, from throw (v.) + back (adv.); earlier it meant “a reverse in a course or progress, a relapse” (1856).