- the nail of the thumb.
- anything quite small or brief, as a small drawing or short essay.
- Printing. a small, rough dummy.
- Also called porkchop. Journalism, Printing. a half-column portrait in a newspaper.
- quite small or brief; concise: a thumbnail description of Corsica.
verb (used with object)
- to make a thumbnail sketch or description of.
- the nail of the thumb
- (modifier) concise and briefa thumbnail sketch
- computing a small image which can be expanded
n.c.1600, from thumb (n.) + nail (n.). Meaning “drawing or sketch of a small size” (though usually not lierally the size of a thumbnail) is from 1852.