adjective, tin·ni·er, tin·ni·est.
- of or like tin.
- containing tin.
- lacking in timbre or resonance; sounding thin or twangy: a tinny piano.
- not strong or durable; flimsy; shoddy.
- having the taste of tin.
adjective -nier or -niest
- of, relating to, or resembling tin
- cheap, badly made, or shoddy
- (of a sound) high, thin, and metallic
- (of food or drink) flavoured with metal, as from a container
- Australian informal lucky
noun plural -nies
- Australian slang a can of beer
- Also: tinnie Australian informal a small fishing or pleasure boat with an aluminium hull
adj.1550s, from tin + -y (2). Used figuratively (of sounds, etc.) since 1877.