verb (used without object), toped, top·ing.
- to drink alcoholic liquor habitually and to excess.
verb (used with object), toped, top·ing.
- to drink (liquor) habitually and to excess.
- a small shark, Galeorhinus galeus, inhabiting waters along the European coast.
- any of various related sharks of small to medium size.
- (in Buddhist countries) a dome-shaped monument, usually for religious relics.
- to consume (alcoholic drink) as a regular habit, usually in large quantities
- a small grey requiem shark, Galeorhinus galeus, of European coastal waters
- any of various other small sharks
- another name for a stupa
“to drink heavily,” 1650s, of unknown origin, perhaps ultimately from Italian toppa “done!” a word signifying acceptance of a bet.