- a stream of water flowing with great rapidity and violence.
- a rushing, violent, or abundant and unceasing stream of anything: a torrent of lava.
- a violent downpour of rain.
- a violent, tumultuous, or overwhelming flow: a torrent of abuse.
- a fast, voluminous, or violent stream of water or other liquid
- an overwhelming flow of thoughts, words, sound, etc
- computing a file that controls the transfer of data in a BitTorrent systemSee BitTorrent
- rare like or relating to a torrent
c.1600, from French torrent, from Latin torrentem (nominative torrens) “rushing stream,” originally “roaring, boiling, burning, parching,” present participle of torrere “to parch” (see terrain). Sense of “any onrush” (of words, feelings, etc.) first recorded 1640s.