- a cosmetic treatment of the hands and fingernails, including trimming and polishing of the nails and removing cuticles.
- a manicurist.
verb (used with object), man·i·cured, man·i·cur·ing.
- to take care of (the hands and fingernails); apply manicure treatment to.
- to trim or cut meticulously: to manicure a lawn.
verb (used without object), man·i·cured, man·i·cur·ing.
- to give a manicure.
- care of the hands and fingernails, involving shaping the nails, removing cuticles, etc
- another word for manicurist
- to care for (the hands and fingernails) in this way
- (tr) to trim neatly
v.1889, from manicure (n.). Related: Manicured; manicuring. n.1873, “one who professionally treats hands and fingernails,” from French manicure, literally “the care of the hands,” from Latin manus “hand” (see manual) + cura “care” (see cure). Meaning “treatment and care of the hands and fingernails” is attested from 1887.