verb (used with object), can·al·ized, can·al·iz·ing.
- to make a canal or canals through.
- to convert into a canal.
- to divide (a stream) into reaches with locks or dams, usually to maintain navigable depths.
- to divert into certain channels; give a certain direction to or provide a certain outlet for.
- to provide with or convert into a canal or canals
- to give a particular direction to or provide an outlet for; channel
- to divide a channel into separate reaches controlled by dams and weirs to aid navigation, control water levels, generate power, etc