- of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a compliment, often one that is politely flattering: a complimentary remark.
- given free as a gift or courtesy: a complimentary ticket.
noun, plural com·pli·men·ta·ries.
- something given or supplied without charge, as lodging, transportation, or meals, especially as an inducement to prospective customers.
- not conveying, containing, or resembling a compliment
- conveying, containing, or resembling a compliment
- expressing praise; flattering
- given free, esp as a courtesy or for publicity purposes
adj.1620s, “conveying a compliment,” from compliment (n.) + -ary. In later use loosely meaning “free of charge.”