- having strong belief or full assurance; sure: confident of fulfillment.
- sure of oneself; having no uncertainty about one’s own abilities, correctness, successfulness, etc.; self-confident; bold: a confident speaker.
- excessively bold; presumptuous.
- Obsolete. trustful or confiding.
- a confidant.
- (postpositive foll by of) having or showing confidence or certainty; sureconfident of success
- sure of oneself; bold
- presumptuous; excessively bold
adj.1570s, “self-reliant, sure of oneself,” from Middle French confident, from Latin confidentem (nominative confidens) “firmly trusting, reliant, self-confident, bold, daring,” present participle of confidere (see confidence). Related: Confidently.