- broken: a container full of cracked ice.
- broken without separation of parts; fissured.
- damaged; injured.
- Informal. eccentric; mad; daffy: a charming person, but a bit cracked.
- broken in tone, as the voice.
- cracked up to be, Informal. reported or reputed to be (usually used in the negative): I hear the play is not what it’s cracked up to be.
- damaged by cracking
- informal crazy
adj.mid-15c., past participle adjective from crack (v). Meaning “mentally unsound” is 17c. (cf. crack-brain “crazy fellow”). The equivalent Greek word was used in this sense by Aristophanes.