- according to or depending on custom; usual; habitual.
- of or established by custom rather than law.
- Law. defined by long-continued practices: the customary service due from land in a manor.
noun, plural cus·tom·ar·ies.
- a book or document containing the legal customs or customary laws of a locality.
- any body of such customs or laws.
- in accordance with custom or habitual practice; usual; habitual
- founded upon long continued practices and usage rather than law
- (of land, esp a feudal estate) held by custom
noun plural -aries
- a statement in writing of customary laws and practices
- a body of such laws and customs
adj.1520s, from Medieval Latin custumarius, from Latin consuetudinarius, from consuetitudinem (see custom (n.)). Related: Customarily.