- having expectations; expecting: an excited, expectant audience.
- pregnant; expecting: an expectant mother.
- characterized by expectations: an expectant attitude.
- in expectation; expected; prospective: an expectant fortune.
- a person who expects or who waits in expectation.
- expecting, anticipating, or hopefulan expectant glance
- having expectations, esp of possession of something or prosperity
- pregnantan expectant mother
- a person who expects something
- obsolete a candidate for office, esp for ecclesiastical preferment
adj.late 14c., from Old French expectant or directly from Latin expectantem/exspectantem (nominative expectans/exspectans), present participle of expectare/exspectare (see expect). Related: Expectantly. As a noun, from 1620s. adj.