- observant of or conforming to the fashion; stylish: a fashionable young woman.
- of, characteristic of, used, or patronized by the world of fashion: a fashionable shop.
- current; popular: a fashionable topic of conversation.
- a fashionable person.
- not fashionabledull unfashionable clothes; an unfashionable view
- conforming to fashion; in vogue
- of, characteristic of, or patronized by people of fashiona fashionable café
- (usually foll by with) patronized (by); popular (with)
adj.1560s, “incapable of being shaped,” from un- (1) “not” + fashionable. Meaning “not in accordance with prevailing fashion” is attested from 1640s. Related: Unfashionably. adj.“stylish,” c.1600, “capable of being fashioned,” also “conformable to prevailing tastes,” from fashion + -able. Related: Fashionably.