- interested in, concerned with, or based on what is real or practical: a realistic estimate of costs; a realistic planner.
- pertaining to, characterized by, or given to the representation in literature or art of things as they really are: a realistic novel.
- resembling or simulating real life: a duck hunter skilled at making realistic decoys.
- Philosophy. of or relating to realists or realism.
- showing awareness and acceptance of reality
- practical or pragmatic rather than ideal or moral
- (of a book, film, etc) depicting or emphasizing what is real and actual rather than abstract or ideal
- of or relating to philosophical realism
adj.“true to reality” (of art, literature, etc.), 1829; “involving a practical view of life” (opposed to idealistic), 1831; from realist + -ic. Related: Realistically.