verb (used with object)
- to open or spread out (something rolled or coiled): to unroll a bolt of fabric.
- to lay open; display; reveal.
- Obsolete. to strike from a roll or register.
verb (used without object)
- to become unrolled or spread out: The scrolls unroll easily.
- to become continuously visible or apparent: The landscape unrolled before our eyes.
- to open out or unwind (something rolled, folded, or coiled) or (of something rolled, etc) to become opened out or unwound
- to make or become visible or apparent, esp gradually; unfold
v.early 15c., from un- (2) + roll (v.). Related: Unrolled; unrolling.