- pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of strategy: strategic movements.
- important in or essential to strategy.
- (of an action, as a military operation or a move in a game) forming an integral part of a stratagem: a strategic move in a game of chess.
- intended to render the enemy incapable of making war, as by the destruction of materials, factories, etc.: a strategic bombing mission.
- essential to the conduct of a war: Copper is a strategic material.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of strategy
- important to a strategy or to strategy in general
- (of weapons, attacks, etc) directed against an enemy’s homeland rather than used on a battlefielda strategic missile; strategic bombing
adj.“pertaining to strategy,” 1825; see strategy + -ic. Related: Strategical; strategically.