adjective, un·time·li·er, un·time·li·est.
- not timely; not occurring at a suitable time or season; ill-timed or inopportune: An untimely downpour stopped the game.
- happening too soon or too early; premature: his untimely demise.
- occurring before the expected, normal, or proper timean untimely death
- inappropriate to the occasion, time, or seasonhis joking at the funeral was most untimely
- prematurely or inopportunely
adj.1530s, “coming before the proper or usual time,” from un- (1) “not” + timely. Cf. Middle Danish utimelig, of weather, etc. see come to an (untimely) end.