- toward or in the higher part of a stream; against the current.
- directed upstream; situated upstream: an upstream journey; an upstream hideout.
- Commerce. of or relating to the early stages in the operations of a business or industry, as exploration and production in the oil business (opposed to downstream).
- against or opposite to the direction of transcription, translation, or synthesis of a DNA, RNA, or protein molecule.
- in or towards the higher part of a stream; against the current
- (in the oil industry) of or for any of the stages prior to oil production, such as exploration or researchCompare downstream (def. 2)