- apprehension; understanding or comprehension; mental grasp: quick on the uptake.
- an act or instance of taking up; a lifting: the uptake of fertilizer by machines.
- Also called take-up. Machinery. a pipe or passage leading upward from below, as for conducting smoke or a current of air.
- Physiology. absorption.
- a pipe, shaft, etc, that is used to convey smoke or gases, esp one that connects a furnace to a chimney
- mining another term for upcast (def. 2)
- taking up or lifting up
- the act of accepting or taking up something on offer or available
- quick on the uptake informal quick to understand or learn
- slow on the uptake informal slow to understand or learn
- The absorption by a tissue of a substance, such as a nutrient, and its permanent or temporary retention.
see on the uptake.