- a river in the Russian Federation, flowing S from the S Ural Mountains to the Caspian Sea. 1575 miles (2535 km) long.
- a former administrative division comprising a region in the Ural Mountains and its slopes.
- of or relating to the Ural Mountains or the Ural River.
- a mountain range in the W Russian Federation, extending N and S from the Arctic Ocean to near the Caspian Sea, forming a natural boundary between Europe and Asia. Highest peak, Mt. Narodnaya, 6214 feet (1894 meters).
- a river in central Russia, rising in the S Ural Mountains and flowing south to the Caspian Sea. Length: 2534 km (1575 miles)
- a mountain system in W central Russia, extending over 2000 km (1250 miles) from the Arctic Ocean towards the Aral Sea: forms part of the geographical boundary between Europe and Asia; one of the richest mineral areas in the world, with many associated major industrial centres. Highest peak: Mount Narodnaya, 1894 m (6214 ft)
mountain range between Europe and Asia (the river is named for the mountains), of uncertain origin. Perhaps from Vogul urala “mountain peak” or from Tatar ural “boundary.”