- containing different versions of the text by various editors: a variorum edition of Shakespeare.
- containing many notes and commentaries by a number of scholars or critics: a variorum text of Cicero.
- a variorum edition or text.
- containing notes by various scholars or critics or various versions of the texta variorum edition
- an edition or text of this kind
1728, Latin, genitive masculine plural of varius (see vary), in phrase editio cum notis variorum “an edition (especially of the complete works of a classical author) with notes of various commentators or editors.” Use with reference to an edition of an author’s works containing variant readings (1955) is “deplored by some scholars” [OED].