verb (used with object)
- to sell as one’s business or occupation, especially by peddling: to vend flowers at a sidewalk stand.
- to give utterance to (opinions, ideas, etc.); publish.
verb (used without object)
- to engage in the sale of merchandise.
- to be disposed of by sale.
- to sell or be sold
- to sell (goods) for a living
- (tr) rare to utter or publish (an opinion, etc)
late 14c., from Latin vendere “to sell, praise,” contraction of venumdare “offer for sale,” from venum “for sale” (see venal) + dare “to give” (see date (n.1)). Related: Vended; vending. Vending machine is recorded from 1889.