- a brilliant scarlet red.
- a bright-red, water-insoluble pigment consisting of mercuric sulfide, once obtained from cinnabar, now usually produced by the reaction of mercury and sulfur.
- of the color vermilion.
verb (used with object)
- to color with or as if with vermilion.
- a bright red to reddish-orange colour
- (as adjective)a vermilion car
- mercuric sulphide, esp when used as a bright red pigment; cinnabar
late 13c., “cinnabar, red dye,” from Anglo-French and Old French vermeillon, from vermeil (see vermeil). As an adjective, from 1580s.