noun, plural ver·sos. Printing.
- a left-hand page of an open book or manuscript (opposed to recto).
- with thumbs turned downward: the sign made by spectators calling for the death of a defeated gladiator in the ancient Roman circus.
- the back of the page; verso (opposed to folio recto).
noun plural -sos
- the back of a sheet of printed paper
- Also called: reversothe left-hand pages of a book, bearing the even numbersCompare recto
- the side of a coin opposite to the obverse; reverse
1839, from Latin verso (folio), ablative singular neuter of versus, past participle of vertere “to turn” (see versus).