- full of or characterized by vigor: a vigorous effort.
- strong; active; robust: a vigorous youngster.
- energetic; forceful: vigorous steps; a vigorous personality.
- powerful in action or effect: vigorous law enforcement.
- growing well, as a plant.
- endowed with bodily or mental strength or vitality; robust
- displaying, involving, characterized by, or performed with vigourvigorous growth
c.1300 (early 13c. as a surname), from Anglo-French vigrus, Old French vigorosus, from Latin vigere “be lively, flourish, thrive” (see vigor). Related: Vigorously.