- (on a close helmet) a piece having slits or holes for vision, situated above and pivoted with a beaver or a ventail and beaver.
- a similar piece of plate having holes or slits for vision and breathing, attached to or used with any of various other helmets, as the armet, sallet, basinet, or helm.
- the projecting front brim of a cap.
- a rigid adjustable flap on an automobile windshield that can shield the eyes of a driver from direct sunlight or glare.
- a means of concealment; disguise.
verb (used with object)
- to protect or mask with a visor; shield.
- a transparent flap on a helmet that can be pulled down to protect the face
- a piece of armour fixed or hinged to the helmet to protect the face and with slits for the eyes
- another name for peak (def. 6)
- a small movable screen used as protection against glare from the sun, esp one attached above the windscreen of a motor vehicle
- archaic, or literary a mask or any other means of disguise or concealment
- (tr) to cover, provide, or protect with a visor; shield
c.1300, “front part of a helmet,” from Anglo-French viser, from Old French visiere, from vis “face” (see visage). Meaning “eyeshade” is recorded from 1925.