- any of several small mouselike or ratlike rodents of the genus Microtus and related genera, having short limbs and a short tail.
- Cards. the winning by one player of all the tricks of a deal.
- go the vole,
- to venture everything on the chance of great rewards.
- to try one after another, as a variety of occupations: He went the vole and finally settled on watchmaking.
- any of numerous small rodents of the genus Microtus and related genera, mostly of Eurasia and North America and having a stocky body, short tail, and inconspicuous ears: family CricetidaeSee also water vole
- (in some card games, such as écarté) the taking of all the tricks in a deal, thus scoring extra points
1805, volemouse, literally “field-mouse,” with first element probably from Old Norse völlr “field,” from Proto-Germanic *walthuz (cf. Icelandic völlr, Swedish vall “field,” Old English weald; see wold).