verb (used without object), waked or woke, waked or wok·en, wak·ing.
- to become roused from sleep; awake; awaken; waken (often followed by up).
- to become roused from a tranquil or inactive state; awaken; waken: to wake from one’s daydreams.
- to become cognizant or aware of something; awaken; waken: to wake to the true situation.
- to be or continue to be awake: Whether I wake or sleep, I think of you.
- to remain awake for some purpose, duty, etc.: I will wake until you return.
- to hold a wake over a corpse.
- to keep watch or vigil.