- Alfred Rus·sel [ruhs–uh l] /ˈrʌs əl/, 1823–1913, English naturalist, explorer, and author.
- George Cor·ley [kawr-lee] /ˈkɔr li/, 1919–98, U.S. politician: governor of Alabama 1963–67, 1971–79, and 1983–87.
- Henry (A·gard) [ey-gahrd] /ˈeɪ gɑrd/, 1888–1965, U.S. agriculturalist, author, and statesman: Secretary of Agriculture 1933–40; vice president of the U.S. 1941–45; Secretary of Commerce 1945–46.
- LewisLew, 1827–1905, U.S. general and novelist.
- Sir William.Also Walays, Wallensis.1272?–1305, Scottish military leader and patriot.
- (William Roy) De·Witt [duh–wit] /dəˈwɪt/, 1889–1981, and his wife, Lila Bell (Acheson), 1889–1984, U.S. magazine publishers.
- a male given name: a Scottish family name meaning “Welshman, foreigner.”