- the hard, fibrous substance composing most of the stem and branches of a tree or shrub, and lying beneath the bark; the xylem.
- the trunks or main stems of trees as suitable for architectural and other purposes; timber or lumber.
- the cask, barrel, or keg, as distinguished from the bottle: aged in the wood.
- woodblock(def 1).
- Often woods. (used with a singular or plural verb) a large and thick collection of growing trees; a grove or forest: They picnicked in the woods.
- Golf. a club with a wooden head, as a driver, brassie, spoon, or baffy for hitting long shots.Compare iron(def 5).