- a vessel used for private cruising, racing, or other noncommercial purposes.
verb (used without object)
- to sail, voyage, or race in a yacht.
- a vessel propelled by sail or power, used esp for pleasure cruising, racing, etc
- short for sand yacht, ice yacht
- (intr) to sail or cruise in a yacht
n.1550s, yeaghe “a light, fast-sailing ship,” probably from Norwegian jaght, from Middle Low German jacht, shortened form of jachtschip “fast pirate ship,” literally “ship for chasing,” from jacht “chase,” from jagen “to chase, hunt,” from Old High German jagon, from Proto-Germanic *jagojanan.