verb (used without object), noun
verb (used without object)
- to utter a loud, harsh cry; to yelp, squawk, or bawl.
- Slang. to talk noisily and foolishly or complainingly.
- a harsh cry.
- raucous or querulous speech.
- a noisy, foolish utterance.
- a variant spelling of yawp
- to gape or yawn, esp audibly
- to shout, cry, or talk noisily; bawl
- to bark, yelp, or yowl
- a shout, bark, yelp, or cry
- US and Canadian a noisy, foolish, or raucous utterance
v.c.1300, yolpen, probably echoic variant of yelpen (see yelp). Related: Yawped; yawping. The noun, in reference to speech, is recorded from 1835, now used chiefly with conscious echo of Whitman.