verb (used with object), cleped or clept (also y·cleped or y·clept ), clep·ing. Archaic.
- to call; name (now chiefly in the past participle as ycleped or yclept).
- a past participle of clepe.
- a past participle of clepe
- having the name of; called
verb clepes, cleping, cleped (kliːpt, klɛpt), clept, ycleped or yclept
- (tr) archaic to call by the name of
Old English gicliopad; from y- + pas participle of cleopian, cpipian “to speak, call; summon, invoke; implore” (see clepe). v.“to call; to name” (archaic), from Old English cleopian, clipian “to speak, call; summon, invoke; implore.”