- from particular instances to a general principle or law; based upon actual observation or upon experimental data: an a posteriori argument that derives the theory from the evidence.Compare a priori(def 1).
- not existing in the mind prior to or independent of experience.Compare a priori(def 2).
- relating to or involving inductive reasoning from particular facts or effects to a general principle
- derived from or requiring evidence for its validation or support; empirical; open to revision
- statistics See posterior probability
Latin, literally “from what comes after” (see posterior).