- present in great quantity; more than adequate; oversufficient: an abundant supply of water.
- well supplied with something; abounding: a river abundant in salmon.
- richly supplied, as with resources: an abundant land.
- existing in plentiful supply
- (postpositive foll by in) having a plentiful supply (of)
- (of a chemical element or mineral) occurring to an extent specified in relation to other elements or minerals in the earth’s crust or some other specified environment
- (of an isotope) occurring to an extent specified in relation to other isotopes in a mixture of isotopes
late 14c., from Old French abundant and directly from Latin abundantem (nominative abundans) “overflowing,” present participle of abundare “to overflow” (see abound). Related: Abundantly.