- of, relating to, or of the nature of alcohol.
- containing or using alcohol.
- caused by alcohol.
- suffering from alcoholism.
- preserved in alcohol.
- Pathology. a person suffering from alcoholism.
- a person addicted to intoxicating drinks.
- a person affected by alcoholism
- of, relating to, containing, or resulting from alcohol
1790, “of or pertaining to alcohol;” see alcohol + -ic. Meaning “caused by drunkenness” is attested by 1872; meaning “habitually drunk” by 1910. Noun sense of “one who is addicted to drinking in excess, chronic drunkard, old rounder” is recorded from 1891; earlier alcoholist (1888). Alcoholics Anonymous founded 1935 in Akron, Ohio, U.S. Alky is first recorded 1844 as a slang shortening of “alcoholic liquor;” 1960 in the sense of “a drunkard.”
- Related to or resulting from alcohol.
- Containing or preserved in alcohol.
- Suffering from alcoholism.
- A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism.