- of, relating to, or consisting in ; not practical (distinguished from ).
- existing only in ; hypothetical.
- given to, forming, or dealing with ; speculative.
- of or based on theory
- lacking practical application or actual existence; hypothetical
- using or dealing in theory; impractical
1610s, from Late Latin theoreticus “of or pertaining to theory,” from Greek theoretikos “contemplative, pertaining to theory” (by Aristotle contrasted to praktikos), from theoretos “that may be seen or considered,” from theorein “to consider, look at” (see ). Related: Theoretically.
- Of, relating to, or based on theory.
- Restricted to theory; not practical.