available [uh-vey-luh-buhl] SynonymsExamplesWord Originadjective
- suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
- readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
- having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.
- Archaic. efficacious; profitable; advantageous.
Origin of available late Middle English word dating back to 1425–75; see origin at avail, -able Related formsa·vail·a·bil·i·ty, a·vail·a·ble·ness, nouna·vail·a·bly, adverbin·ter·a·vail·a·bil·i·ty, nounin·ter·a·vail·a·ble, adjectivenon·a·vail·a·bil·i·ty, nounun·a·vail·a·bil·i·ty, nounun·a·vail·a·ble, adjectiveun·a·vail·a·ble·ness, nounun·a·vail·a·bly, adverbSynonyms for available 1. accessible, usable, handy.Antonyms for available 1. unavailable. Related Words for unavailability deficiency, drought, lack, omission, dearth, privation, void, inadequacy, insufficiency, want, need, unavailability Examples from the Web for unavailability Contemporary Examples of unavailability
Liu interjected that the unavailability of private money was backed up by a Congressional Budget Office report.
October 29, 2012
Historical Examples of unavailability
Illinois State forests will always be smaller than those of other states because of the unavailability of low valued land.
Fuller George D.
British Dictionary definitions for unavailability available adjective
- obtainable or accessible; capable of being made use of; at hand
- US politics derogatory suitable for public office, usually as a result of having an inoffensive characterSmith was a particularly available candidate
Derived Formsavailability or availableness, nounavailably, adverb Word Origin and History for unavailability n.