- a person or thing that supports or reinforces another.
- a musician or singer or group of musicians or singers accompanying a soloist: a singer with a three-man backup that plays cello, bass, and guitar.
- an overflow or accumulation due to stoppage, malfunctioning, etc.: a sewage backup; a backup of cars at the tollbooth.
- a person, plan, device, etc., kept in reserve to serve as a substitute, if needed.
- a copy or duplicate version, especially of a file, program, or entire computer system, retained for use in the event that the original is in some way rendered unusable.
- a procedure to follow in such an event.
- Bowling. a ball that curves in a direction corresponding to the bowling hand of the bowler.
- (of a person, plan, device, etc.) held in reserve as a substitute if needed: a backup driver; a backup generator.
- performing a secondary or supporting function: A drummer and guitarist are the singer’s backup musicians.
see back up.