- a colored woolen petticoat, formerly worn under a skirt and draped so that portions of it could be seen.
- (lowercase) Also called bal. an ankle-high shoe, laced in front.
- a brimless Scottish cap with a flat top that projects all around the head.
noun (sometimes not capital)
- a laced walking shoe
- a 19th-century woollen petticoat, worn showing below the skirt
- Also called: bluebonnet a Scottish brimless hat traditionally of dark blue wool with a cockade and plume on one side
- a castle in NE Scotland, in SW Aberdeenshire: a private residence of the British sovereign