- a machine in which cloth, paper, or the like, is smoothed, glazed, etc., by pressing between rotating cylinders.
- a machine for impregnating fabric with rubber, as in the manufacture of automobile tires.
verb (used with object)
- to press in a calender.
- a machine in which paper or cloth is glazed or smoothed by passing between rollers
- (tr) to subject (material) to such a process
- a member of a mendicant order of dervishes in Turkey, Iran, and India
“to pass through a calender,” a machine which smooths and presses paper, cloth, etc., 1510s, from Middle French calandre, the machine name, from Medieval Latin calendra (see calender (n.)).
“machine which smooths and presses paper, cloth, etc.,” 1510s (late 13c. in surnames of persons who use such a machine), 1510s, from Old French calandreur, from Medieval Latin calendra “cloth-pressing machine,” so called from the shape of the machine used, from Latin cylindrus, from Greek kylindros “roll, cylinder” (see cylinder).