- a seaport on and the capital of Crete, on the W part.
- Formerly Candia. a Greek island in the Mediterranean, SE of mainland Greece. 3235 sq. mi. (8380 sq. km). Capital: Canea.
- Sea of, a part of the S Aegean Sea lying between the Cyclades Islands and Crete.
- the chief port of Crete, on the NW coast. Pop: 55 838 (2001)Greek name: Khaniá
- a mountainous island in the E Mediterranean, the largest island of Greece: of archaeological importance for the ruins of Minoan civilization. Pop: 601 131 (2001). Area: 8331 sq km (3216 sq miles)Modern Greek name: Kríti
traditionally said to be from Krus, name of a mythological ancestor; probably an ethnic name of some sort.