- pertaining to the carpus: the carpal joint.
- a carpale.
- any bone of the wrist
- (as modifier)carpal bones
Also: carpale (kɑːˈpeɪlɪ)
“of the wrist,” 1743, from Modern Latin carpalis, from carpus “wrist” (see carpus). Carpal tunnel syndrome attested by 1970, from carpal tunnel, the tunnel-like passage that carries nerves through the wrist.
- Of, relating to, or near the carpus.
- Any of the bones of the carpus, including the scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, and hamate bones.
- Relating to or involving the wrist.
- Any of the bones of the human wrist or the joint corresponding to the wrist in some other vertebrates, such as dinosaurs.