- British. a tax, assessment, or lien.
- (in Scotland) a land tax.
- (in Ireland) a military assessment.
- (in India) an import or sales tax on a commodity.
verb (used with object)
- British. to tax; assess.
noun Irish English Informal.
- luck (usually used in the expression bad cess to): Bad cess to them!
- British any of several special taxes, such as a land tax in Scotland
- (formerly, in Ireland)
- the obligation to provide the soldiers and household of the lord deputy with supplies at fixed prices
- any military exaction
- (tr) British to tax or assess for taxation
- (formerly in Ireland) to impose (soldiers) upon a population, to be supported by them
- an Irish slang word for luck bad cess to you!
- short for cesspool
“tax, levy,” 1530s, short for assess (q.v.).