- a bulbous plant, Narcissus pseudonarcissus, of the amaryllis family, having solitary, yellow, nodding flowers that bloom in the spring.
- (formerly) any plant of the genus Narcissus.
- clear yellow; canary.
- of the color daffodil.
- Also called: Lent lily a widely cultivated Eurasian amaryllidaceous plant, Narcissus pseudonarcissus, having spring-blooming yellow flowers
- any other plant of the genus Narcissus
- a brilliant yellow colour
- (as adjective)daffodil paint
- a daffodil, or a representation of one, as a national emblem of Wales
1540s, variant of Middle English affodill “asphodel” (c.1400), from Medieval Latin affodillus, from Latin asphodelus, from Greek asphodelos, of unknown origin. The initial d- is perhaps from merging of the article in Dutch de affodil, the Netherlands being a source for bulbs. First reference to the flower we know by this name (Narcissus pseudo-Narcissus) is from 1590s.