- a person or thing that deviates or departs markedly from the accepted norm.
- deviating, as from what is considered acceptable behaviour
- a person whose behaviour, esp sexual behaviour, deviates from what is considered to be acceptable
c.1400, from Late Latin deviantem (nominative devians), present participle of deviare “turn aside,” from Latin phrase de via, from de “off” (see de-) + via “way” (see via). The noun meaning “one that deviates” is from late 15c.; in the sexual sense, from 1952; also deviate (n.), recorded since 1912.
- Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.
- One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.