drip-feed [drip-feed] Word Origin noun
- intravenous feeding.
Origin of drip-feed 1905–10, for earlier sense Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019 British Dictionary definitions for drip feed drip-feed noun
- another name for
verb drip feed (tr)
- to administer a solution (to someone) by means of a drip-feed
- to supply information constantly but in small amounts
- informal to fund (a new company) in stages rather than by injecting a large sum at its inception
- a constant supply of small amounts of information
Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012 drip feed in Medicine drip feed n.
- Administration of blood, plasma, saline, or sugar solutions, usually intravenously, a drop at a time.
- The device or tubes by which such a substance is administered.
- The substance administered in this manner.
The American Heritage® Stedman’s Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.